Have you ever wondered how 3D models such as props, characters and environments are created for your favourite films and video games? Are you looking to take your 3D modeling skills from hobbyist to professional?
With our online 3D modeling classes, you’ll learn professional workflows from industry artists and create your very own 3D models for films and video games. 3D modeling for beginners can be an intimidating topic, as there are many different career paths you can choose. However, your CG Spectrum mentor will find and focus on your strengths, giving you the foundation that every Junior Artist should have.
Our 3D modeling mentors have worked at studios like Disney, ILM, and Weta Digital, and they are ready to teach you the industry tips and tricks they have been using for years to do quality work on tight timelines. Using the industry standard software Maya, you will complete weekly assignments on topics like hard surface modeling, texturing, and high poly vs. low poly workflows. Your mentor will give feedback using your project files while you watch live, creating a personalized experience like none other.
The Introduction to 3D Modeling course is exactly what you need as a budding 3D Modeler. Our goal is to teach the technical aspects of 3D modeling as well as the theoretical concepts behind it.
After completing this course, you will have all the necessary knowledge to move on to the Advanced 3D Modeling Diploma program, through which CG Spectrum will continue to help you on your path to becoming a professional 3D modeler for film and games.
January 7th, 2019
20 hrs/ week
Study Period 01
3D Modeling Foundations
Starting out using Maya can seem like a daunting process. From its overwhelming interface to its enormous array of capabilities, knowing where to begin can seem near impossible. Students will start by looking at Maya’s user interface and begin learning how to navigate in a scene, create objects, and use the most important 3D modeling tools and then apply that knowledge to create your very own 3D asset from scratch.
Next, students will learn the key differences between creating 3D models for films and video games by learning proper high poly 3D modeling techniques on a hard surface object and then building a version that is suitable for a game engine. Once your 3D asset is created students will get an in-depth introduction to texturing in Substance Painter and learn the basics tools and methodologies to move forward texturing a complex hard surface object.
- Master the basics of Maya software, with a focus on basic modeling tools and interface customization through creating a few simple 3D models
- Students will learn the basics of blocking a model in Maya, using reference
- Understand what topology is, best practices and how to retopolgize a hi-res object for clean line flow
- Create a high-resolution 3D model and learn how to “down-res” it so it’s suitable to import into Unreal Engine 4
- Get an in-depth introduction to texturing in Substance Painter to learn the basics tools and methodologies to move forward texturing a complex hard surface object
- Introduction to Modeling
- Blocking a Model with Reference
- Model Finalizing and Cleanup
- Re-Topology Basics
- Using Deformers
- Lighting and Rendering
- High Poly Modeling for Film
- Low Poly Modeling for Games
- UV Theory
- UV Layout and Texture Preparation
- Introduction to Substance Painter
- Texturing and Presentation
*Curriculum subject to changed based on industry input
Study Period 02
Character & Environment Modeling
In Study Period 02 we kick things up a notch and get into some really cool projects. Students build from their foundation skills and learn the basics of 3D character modeling for film and video games as well as the fundamentals of human anatomy. You’ll get to create your own game ready, a fully textured 3D character from scratch complete with clothing accessories and hair.
Up next, you’ll dive into learning the basics of creating a 3D environment and all the assets that populate it including buildings, trees, rocks and some cool props. Students will be given an environment concept design and work through the process of building a 3D environment from start to finish. This includes texturing and lighting your amazing work so you can show it off and import it into Unreal Engine.
- Students will learn the basics of character modeling as well as how to get started with orthographic character sheets, model breakdown, and anatomy blocking.
- Apply cloth and skin shaders as well as posing and setting up a basic Arnold scene for rendering
- Learn the basics of 3D environment modeling and create an environment from scratch. This will include blocking, sculpting, procedural instancing, organic and hard surface modeling
- Texture your 3D environment and learn how to present it with lighting and rendering techniques for your portfolio
- Students can choose to move on to the Advanced 3D Modeling Diploma
- Introduction to Photoshop
- Introduction to Brush Creation
- Introduction to Blend Modes
- Introduction to FX
- Introduction Life Drawing
- Introduction to Formatting
- Perspective 01
- Perspective 02
- Anatomy 01
- Anatomy 02
- Creature Anatomy 01
- Creature Anatomy 02
*Curriculum subject to changed based on industry input
Intro to 3D Modeling
What you get
Access to world-class mentors
Live weekly classes
Weekly recorded critiques
Custom built curriculum
Original video content
Adobe Photoshop student software license
Access to online learning portal
Meet Your Mentors
“I started with CG Spectrum because they offered a more specific program for my needs. Let me assure you that it was the best move I have ever made. Mentors are current industry professionals so you know that techniques are relevant and I honestly believe that these guys are in it to see you succeed.”
“I got a job offer at a major feature film studio before even graduating! Studying at CG Spectrum gave me the opportunity to network with industry artists while I was learning and coupled with the amazing course I was able to secure a position in the industry. Now I'm working on amazing projects in my dream job!”
“CG Spectrum has a way of mentoring students that I haven't experienced before. I feel as though my mentor is always pushing me in order to become industry ready and I'm not just another number. Mentors are always available for feedback and take a proactive approach to teaching their students.”
“CG SPectrum's mentor-ship has helped me achieve a level of focus and exposed me to expert advice that I could not have gotten so directly anywhere else.”
At CG Spectrum you’re never just a number. We cap our concept art class sizes at 5 students so you get the most attention possible at a more affordable price.
By choosing the 1-on-1 option you will get more individual attention from your mentor while having the flexibility to work within your busy schedule.