Have you ever wondered how 3D animation gets created for your favourite films and video games? Are you interested in pursuing a creative career in 3D animation but don’t know where to start?
As the art of 3D animation in film and games gets more and more complex, it can be daunting to learn 3D animation through tutorials or reading books alone and many schools that teach animation are expensive and require you to be on campus for classes. Enter CG Spectrum.
As one of the top online schools for animation, we strive to make our high-quality courses accessible and affordable to produce and inspire the next great generation of animators. Our online animation classes are taught by world-class industry mentors, who have worked at major studios around the world and are ready to share their years of professional experience with you.
In just 6 months you can learn 3D animation from the ground up with no prior knowledge. You’ll learn all the important fundamentals that are needed to become an animator including the 12 principals of animation, body mechanics and how to rig your very own character.
If you are interested in becoming a 3D animator for film and games, this is the course to help get you started.
August 5th, 2019
20 hrs/ week
Study Period 01
3D Animation Foundations
The Introduction to 3D Animation Course is designed to build your animation skills and provide a pathway to the Advanced 3D Animation Diploma by mastering the basics of 3D animation. First, you’ll learn everything from navigating Maya, the industry standard software package to all the common tools that the pros use.
Once you’ve gotten comfortable with the basics you’ll move on to some more advanced animation techniques including the 12 principals of animation and how to get a character moving in a believable way by creating a character walk-cycle. Students will start to better understand physical animation, locomotion and start using more complicated animation rigs and finish with a cool piece of animation for their portfolios.
- Install and get familiar with the industry standard animation software Autodesk Maya and learn important tools used by animators
- Work through simple animation pieces in order to familiarise yourself with animation methods and techniques
- Get an understanding of how to use animation rigs in order to pose your character and set keyframes in order to convey motion
- Learn the 12 principles of animation to get a better understanding of how to create believable motion in your animation
- Create a simple character walk-cycle that you can use for your portfolio
- Intro to 3D Animation
- Intro to Animation Rigs
- Posing a Character
- Timing and Spacing
- Squash and Stretch
- Overlap and Follow Through
- Poses Transitions
- Flour Sac Jump
- Lower Body Walk Cycle
- Upper Body Walk Cycle
- Adding a Prop
- Polish and Presentation
*Curriculum subject to changed based on industry input
Study Period 02
In this study period, it’s time to get physical. Students will build on their foundation skills and start animating characters interacting with their surrounding environment and learn how characters deal with physical forces. Once students have an understanding of how to use an animation rig they will get to build their very own from scratch.
Rigging your own character is a very important skill set to have as an animator. It’s important to understand so you can build your own rigs and fix any issues you may encounter while animating. This section of the study period will focus on building your own rig and building your technical skills as an animator.
- Take what you’ve learned from creating a walk cycle and apply that knowledge to creating a character run cycle
- Understand how physical forces are applied and convey realistic weight by animating a character lifting a heavy object
- Learn how to animate combat actions and the differences between animation for film and video games
- Build your own character rig and learn important skills that will help you problem solve technical issues you may encounter when animating
- Set up a user interface for your character rig so you can quickly set keys and animate your character more efficiently
- Lower Body Run Cycle
- Full Body Run Cycle
- Forces & Weight
- Weight Lift
- Combat Actions
- Fight Scene
- Intro to Rigging
- Rigging the Spine
- Rigging the Arms
- Rigging the Hands
- Facial Rigging
- UI Setup and Presentation
*Curriculum subject to changed based on industry input
Introduction to 3D Animation
What you get
- Access to world-class mentors
- Live weekly classes
- Weekly recorded critiques
- Custom built curriculum
- Original video content
- Free student software licenses
- Access to online learning portal
Meet Your Mentors
“I cannot recommend CG Spectrum enough. The mentors at CG Spectrum are fantastic! What separates CG Spectrum from other online animation schools is that the mentors are not only talented professionals in their own right, but they also care about your success as an artist both in school and after you graduate.”
“It’s your career success that matters. I applied to some companies with my updated reel and get the chance to be hired by a small studio named Dwarf-Labs where I did some animations for a CG commercial. Then I was hired by Ubisoft where I worked for the last release of one of their big franchise, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate!”
“I got my dream job! After a lot of searching, I found CG Spectrum. The curriculum is wonderful, the mentors are fantastic and the school is very accommodating. One of the things that impressed me the most was they actually go through the files of your assignments. This contributes tremendously towards understanding your mistakes.”
“CG Spectrum was the best decision I've ever made! From the first to the final term, I had instructors that were incredibly knowledgeable, dedicated and supportive. They take the time to introduce new concepts and the critiques can be quite long and detailed, depending on how much feedback the shot needs. Nothing was ever rushed and that's something very rare to find nowadays. The small classes also allow the instructors to spend more time with each student, analysing the shots to the tiniest detail.”
At CG Spectrum you’re never just a number. We cap our concept art class sizes at 5 students so you get the most attention possible at a more affordable price.
By choosing the 1-on-1 option you will get more individual attention from your mentor while having the flexibility to work within your busy schedule.